The purpose of the United Religions Initiative is to promote enduring, daily interfaith cooperation, to end religiously motivated violence and to create cultures of peace, justice and healing for the Earth and all living beings. URI is a global grassroots interfaith network that cultivates peace and justice by engaging people to bridge religious and cultural differences and work together for the good of their communities and the world.
EIFRF, as Cooperation Circle of URI, shares the following purpose and principles:
The purpose of the United Religions Initiative is to promote enduring, daily interfaith cooperation, to end religiously motivated violence and to create cultures of peace, justice and healing for the Earth and all living beings.
• The URI is a bridge-building organization, not a religion.
• We respect the sacred wisdom of each religion, spiritual expression and indigenous tradition.
• We respect the differences among religions, spiritual expressions and indigenous traditions.
• We encourage our members to deepen their roots in their own tradition.
• We listen and speak with respect to deepen mutual understanding and trust.
• We give and receive hospitality.
• We seek and welcome the gift of diversity and model practices that do not discriminate.
• We practice equitable participation of women and men in all aspects of the URI.
• We practice healing and reconciliation to resolve conflict without resorting to violence.
• We act from sound ecological practices to protect and preserve the Earth for both present and future generations.
• We seek and offer cooperation with other interfaith efforts.
• We welcome as members all individuals, organizations and associations who subscribe to the Preamble, Purpose and Principles.
• We have the authority to make decisions at the most local level that includes all the relevant and affected parties.
• We have the right to organize in any manner, at any scale, in any area, and around any issue or activity which is relevant to and consistent with the Preamble, Purpose and Principles.
• Our deliberations and decisions shall be made at every level by bodies and methods that fairly represent the diversity of affected interests and are not dominated by any.
• We (each part of the URI) shall relinquish only such autonomy and resources as are essential to the pursuit of the Preamble, Purpose and Principles.
• We have the responsibility to develop financial and other resources to meet the needs of our part, and to share financial and other resources to help meet the needs of other parts.
• We maintain the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct, prudent use of resources, and fair and accurate disclosure of information.
• We are committed to organizational learning and adaptation.
• We honor the richness and diversity of all languages and the right and responsibility of participants to translate and interpret the Charter, Articles, Bylaws and related documents in accordance with the Preamble, Purpose and Principles, and the spirit of the United Religions Initiative.
• Members of the URI shall not be coerced to participate in any ritual or be proselytized.